The Walk will take us through the narrow streets of Old Calcutta where time seems to have frozen in places. Your Local Friend in Kolkata will steer you through the maze of Tram Cars, Hand Pulled Rickshaws, tuk-tuk Auto Rickshaws, cycles, pedestrians and pavement shopkeepers. We will pass Mansions, Palaces, Mosques, Temples, Churches, artefact sellers and what not. You may want to give your legs a little rest and we can hop into a passing quaint tram car at any point of the walk and hop off whenever we fancy doing so. There will be no rigidity in this walk.
The walk will end in either the Marble Palace or the Jorasanko Thakurbari. You may choose to complete the tour with neither, either or both these destinations after the walk.
- There will be no rigidity in this walk.
- The walk will end in either the Marble Palace or the Jorasanko Thakurbari. You may choose to complete the tour with neither, either or both these destinations after the walk. These visiting points are beyond the scope of the walk but we can extend the programme to facilitate better understanding & appreciation .
- Each of these locations can take over an hour to see and you may as well schedule your time till late afternoon if you want to complete the tour. Rest you feet, revitalise yourself with hygienic refreshments we provide and you are ready to start again.
- The Jorasanko Thakurbari, once the abode of generations of luminaries who excelled in various disciplines over generations and were significant contributors to Bengal and Indian Renaissance, today houses a Museum and University. The sons of the house have among them, Asia's First Nobel Laureate, The Kabiguru (The Guru of Poetry) Rabindranath Thakur (Tagore). Poet (Nobel Laureate), Author, Dramatist, Singer, Painter, Educationalist (founder of Asia's first open air School and University at Shantiniketan), Humanist & Philosopher, Tagore along with other illustrious members of his family, gave a lot to India. A museum built in the Mansion gives you glimpses of his life and times.
- After Jorasanko, you can again choose to end the tour or carry on to see the Marble Palace. The property of the Mullick Family, this sprawling palace houses many genuine pieces of art, some awesome marble periodic sculptures, a huge Lawn, a water body with marble fountains and a mini zoo. It is prudent to let your eyes pick out the genuinely great artefacts from the many knick-knack objects lying about, although all of the antique value.